Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore

On my way to City Pride Kothrud, I took a wrong left on Karve Road. I aimed to cut bypass a traffic jam, and emerge at Karishma Society directly. Unfortunately, I took a wrong turn and got lost. Emerged at the wrong end of Kothrud, beyond Deenanath and then had to map my way back. Missed out on the first 15 odd minutes of the movie. I did regret it. But I managed to grab that much online and realized I was wrong to regret.

I had said good things about City Pride Kothrud last time, but this time here is a negative: if you are putting subtitles, ensure the subtitle reel matches with the movie. So much of it was just crappy and overwritten and mistimed. It really sucked and distracted me!

I had two opposing reviews given to me, and so I watched to decide which one was right. I consciously forced myself to see this movie. I would not have seen the movie otherwise. I think I have no nostalgia left anymore for the extended HPU. The audience around me, my age, disagreed though, ooh-ing and aahing and enjoying the movie. I did not. The niffler and the bowtruckle can only be nice for a bit, no? The first seven movies were enough for me. Even FBAWTFT was good. This movie is bad. I was so uninvested that I would have gotten up in the middle of the movie to buy nachos. The Wizarding World has no power over my heartstrings and deep neurons anymore. Moreover, it is no more about the beasts too: there's the qilin and manticore, and a balloon bird in the beginning, but that is all. 

Though it is good to have some story and learn a bit more about the global and Aberforth's story. What I did not expect was continuity errors! In one scene towards the beginning, an interaction between Jacob and Lally has him folding hands, when in preceding and succeeding scenes, there's a pan in his hands!

Poppy Corby-Tuech is hot. She plays Vinda Rosier, presumably of the Rosier pureblood family. Jacob does his comic relief routine and is standard comedy quippy acting. I am bored of Redmayne's acting. The rest do just fine. I have always loved Mads Mikkelsen, and I do think he gives more gravitas to Gellert.

Other than the Hogwarts theme, played to invoke nostalgia, music is fine. Visuals were good too, but since the days of Avatar, the visual department for special effects has reached a ceiling. So strictly speaking, it was not 'AWESOME'. I did not see it in 3D/4DX/iMAX (if those releases were there).

The story is a standard thriller. Nothing much to say: the end has already been done in The Thomas Crown Affair. Forming a team of misfits to do good? Meh. The soft magic system allows them to get away with anything, including how and why Grindelwald's pendant breaks. "Nobody can know everything" only affects their plan when convenient. Did my pre-judgment affect my opinion of this movie? Maybe. But the qilin bowing to Albus saying his pure of heart? Seriously? Did the writers forget, to quote Snape, that Albus would "raise him like a pig for slaughter--"?

I thought JKR was off writing for this franchise. I was wrong and ended up giving her money. I am sorry. But seriously, kill this franchise. It's good that there's no post-credits scene for a set-up.

Rating: 1 Beard/5


Comments