Jhund

This was a movie I had made up my mind to see, and that I did. Managed to convince the parents too.

Nagraj Manjule is a master in exposing that facet of society in film commercially oriented. Because of course, the people who pay to see the same in multiplexes rarely get those messages in their daily dose of WhatsApp forwards. He does not disappoint in the same. Choosing and training such a genuine cast to portray their lives, adapting such a story, while threading together caste, class, equity, and other issues is something he can manage very well. Even if people criticize that it makes all of the struggles 'more palatable', I would argue that he is at least creating room for a much more powerful punch to land in subsequent films. 

The cast has done an excellent job, and at times, it is so natural, that it seems like a documentary. Which it is in a way. The highs and lows grip you. And even though you know the result of the penalties, you cannot but help hold your breath to share in their job. But what I liked even more is how society conspires to kill Ankush's change and hope. Multiple blows from multiple angles, until it almost ends at the airport. You share his tears. I did not mind the random crush/possible girlfriend being the angel at the last moment. Does that affect the class/caste 'rescue' argument? Maybe.

Regarding life in the slums, the movie shows the life the kids have to live and what skills they need to survive. And no, they are not romanticized, which one has to keep in mind. The us of sport to harness their aspirations, and talent, and to expand their minds and reach beyond the boundaries society has put on the kids is well-depicted. Credit to Vijay Barse (the man Amitabh's character is based on) for starting such an initiative. He was never on a 'civilizing' mission. Nor did the kids get 'civilized' thanks to sports. That is a very colonial lens. Because one must remember that the criminal activities the slum children engage in are brought about by circumstances created by the same 'civilization' of the well-off.

Regarding the caste politics in the movie. Yes, there was a significant portrayal of the Ambedkarite beliefs including a full-on miravnuk, but that took a backseat to the class divide (perhaps it was already explored explicitly in Sairat?) I know that caste and class are intensely connected, that analysts often overlook the former while discussing the latter. But that is what I thought the director preferred to highlight. I am still ambiguous about the shot of Bachchan doing namaskar to Babasaheb. Seemed too performative for-the-camera to me. I should reduce my scepticism. 

In the second half, I really liked the sub-plot of the tribal girl trying 'dikaho her kaagaz'. Just highlights how difficult it is in general, for those not in the 'general' category. Full Kafka. The second half also highlights the role of the police in "protecting the society" and "rounding up the usual suspects." For those having doubts regarding whom the police protects, and against whom, take a look at the draft of the Criminal Procedure Identification Bill.

What you must pay attention to are the lyrics of the songs. So good. So powerful. So effective. They are like truth bombs put to music.

I strongly prefer the "show don't tell" approach. Hence one particular scene I disliked was the court scene. That stank of showing off Amitabh Bachchan's already lauded acting skills. It was pontification à la Pink. Whatever message the movie had had already been shown, or could be shown visually. Instead it seemed like a lecture. I agree that for a change, there is an upper-caste, upper-class captive audience who needed to hear all that. But I also believe that movie audiences are intelligent and could have grasped metaphors visually shown. For example, the simple structure of the wall dividing the two classes. Or the powerful symbol of making a way for the ambulance in between the celebrations. Perhaps Amitabh's heft was needed commercially or for whatever other reasons. But like the rest of the movie, it would have been better if he was always the co-star (despite prime credits). This is also perhaps why the second half seemed 'longer' and why the first 'half' was time-wise longer, felt fresh and crisp.

Also, did they by any chance brownface Rinku Rajguru? If I am wrong, apologies for casting aspersions. But if I am not, maybe they could have done a better job making it look natural?

When people ask "Is it good?" one needs a basis to explain to them, which inevitably brings up the director's magnum opus Sairat. My materfamilias said Chak De! India was better. But that is because she went there thinking it was a sports movie, and an entertainer. I did not. I specifically went there for the politics of the movie. I can definitely say I enjoyed it better. Both are parallel and hence it is not easy to say which one is better. What I will say instead is that Jhund is a must-watch to form an independent opinion of the same.

Rating: 3 Beards/5

The question one needs to ask simply, after watching the movie, is "Would I allow kids who live in the slums to play on my society's ground?"

Comments

Post a Comment