The Matrix Resurrections

The greatest joy of watching a Matrix movie is watching and reading all the interpretations that swamp the net after. And that stands true for this movie too.

I went for it because I am a fan of the series and it never fails to give me an existential pause. This movie did not fail too, but I was feeling it even stronger for Neo. It was scary psychologically until he is freed again.

I loved all the self-referential parts. WB forcing them to make a movie, the multiple interpretations, breaking of the fourth wall metaphorically. The throwbacks to the previous series, including going through the looking glass, like following the rabbit (Alice in Wonderland themes). They did not skimp on the philosophy, nor on the standard message of amor vincit omnia. Everything that was repeated, fight scenes, dialogues, shots were enjoyable. But again, only to those who have seen the movie before.

Yes, they do try to give exposition for the benefit of first-timers, but I think it is of no use. And they should not have done that, as it is not a stand-alone story anyway, and all that screen-time could have been dedicated to something else or just removed. Let people work to enjoy the Matrix series. It is a ritual of reading, interpreting and going down rabbit holes. The non-binary nature of Humans good Machines bad has nice call-backs.

All the actors have done well, and I like their new take on Trinity.

I dunno man. Priyanka Chopra just seems like the go-to Indian role saathi ghala tila types. Yes, she is a great successful actress but just seeing her everywhere now gives me Gal Gadot feelings. But I did like Neil Patrick-Harris in his role as a new architect. and his philosophy of programming the new matrix. I will not say that I did not miss Hugo Weaving. But Jonathan Groff did a good job.

You will only truly enjoy it if you have seen the previous movies, as my companion, Debangshu Moulik will attest.

Saw it in iMAX. Dunno if paying 600+ was worth it. At least Cinepolis (Aundh) put on the AC for us, unlike previous times.

Rating: 2 Beards/5

Comments