Dunkirk

I think the greatest achievement of this movie is that it tells a story (credits of bringing this to my notice: the person I watched it with). I can only imagine how difficult it is to direct and tell one when most accounts are statistics, propaganda, speech and anecdotes. It was not a history lesson of any sorts. Transforming a military evacuation, a tactical victory in a strategic disaster into something that is celebrated; I think this movie will serve as a source to underline why it is called 'A Miracle'.

The direction, emotion, editing is flawless, and it is a real pleasure to watch. What I really liked were the shots taken from the metal tubes they called fighter planes in WW II. You have to strain your vision, like the pilot is experiencing it, to search for the Jerry as he goes off frame - off the pilot's LOS.

Especially, when you know the three timelines are going to tie together, but don't know when. And then when most unexpectedly, that moment comes, *mind blown*.
That one week, that one day and that one hour are shared wonderfully by the people on the deck, under it, flying above it and those seated in Bad WestEnd seats. You get that "I wish I was there, then" feeling at the end, you get the "I am there" during it. They even managed to get Churchill to write some lines for the movie (credits for this line again, my co-spectator). That was the grenade in the hatch.

Hans Zimmer is getting monotonous and boring. I love him, but then his trumpets and the deafening loudness that defines him in every movie, used to create a climax annoys me in this one. There are mini climaxes every other scene.

Perks of going with Ramanand Jx to a movie: he tells you Michael Caine has a voice cameo in it. I am sure the iMDB trivia page is already being looted by quizzers over the world.

For me, Inception was a better movie as I already have read a lot on Dynamo et al. A fine retelling was all the novelty that could be offered to me, and I have read better. Inception on the other hand is a gem. That said, this is a movie not to be missed. Please experience it.

I think Nolan should next direct a movie on Poke Wars.

3 beards/5

Comments